Monday, May 30, 2016

Paseo 2016, Day Three: Pondering The Future

Boy.  I am tum pluckered.

It was raining a bit this morning, and I guess overnight as well.  It made things cooler for a while, until later when it was just more humid.  I had taken everything down last night because of the possibility storms, so this morning I completely rearranged it all.

The picture of the First National Center, "Skyline Signature," continues to be the most popular of my photos, though no one liked it enough to take one home with them.  The pictures that someone did take home were "No Time Left For You" (the parking meter) and "That None May Penetrate" (the combination lock.)  Other than that, I only sold one of the letters, and finished the show just short of making back the entry fee.


Late in the afternoon, another artist came around, and she was very complimentary of my work.  But she told me something I had already been thinking about: I'm surrounded by crafts and resale items, and it's hampering my sales.  Not that the show was good this year anyway, she said, but she thinks that I should be in the "real" Paseo show, and not Kathy's.
    I decided to check on the possibility of that, so during a restroom break, I headed north and spoke to a randomly selected artist about how does one get into the "real" Paseo show?  My question confused him at first, because, as it turned out, he was part of Kathy's show as well.  In fact, there were two more booths in Kathy's show north of him, the last being #120.  (I was in #29.)  I had no idea that the show was that big.  He also told me that the "real" Paseo show uses Zapplication  for their entries, which is why he's doing Kathy's.  I understood, because Zapplication is the reason I hadn't been doing the Stillwater show, nor the OCCC show for the last several years.  So, considering all this, I've decided that the thing to do, to try, is to just note on next year's application a placement preference.

I met a couple of interesting people late in the day.  One was the lady who owns the Empire Pizza building, which once was the Friendly Laundry, the subject of my pen & ink drawing "Almost Friendly."  She said that she once had all of those letters, but she doesn't know where they are now.
    The other was a lady whose father was the man who built the wall that is the subject of my pen & ink drawing "Freshly Fallen Silent Shroud," as well as the walls at the entrances to Fink Park, Woodlawn Cemetery, and other places in Edmond.  It seems he was the go to man for those kinds of rock structures, and the city of Edmond relied on him to get the job done.

It was also nice to see friends Michael and Josh, who I haven't seen in a while.

As far as I know, this is the last show for a while.  I always refer to the day after the last art show as New Year's Day, because it's the day I get to start working on the stuff that I want to do instead of what I have to do.  Not that I won't jump at the chance to show my work if the opportunity arises, of course. 



No comments:

Post a Comment