Sunday, May 29, 2016

Paseo 2016, Day Two

Well. I could replay the video from yesterday, but I think I'll skip it.

I've been using a particular frame for all of my digitally enhanced photos, but yesterday when I was putting up the most popular of those pictures, I noticed that the frame was damaged.  I had thought the frame was stained wood, but it turns out that it actually has a thin layer of composite (that plastic plasterish stuff they use to create the filigree on ornate mouldings) which had just been painted to look like wood grain.  I called Denton's to see if they could cut a quick replacement for me, but they didn't have enough moulding to make a frame that size.  So, when I left the show last night, I took that pic home, along with another of the same size, so I could switch them out.

This morning, I got up at six again, as I do on show days, hurried to get showered and dressed, and went out to the studio to fix the frames.  When I was done with that and all the rest of the stuff I needed to do to get ready, I left the house at 7:30.
    When I got to the show, the first order of business was to rearrange the screens as if I had a corner booth.  My neighbor to the north doesn't have walls, and there is a two foot "alley" between booths, so a corner arrangement would do a lot to increase my street visibility, and it would give me a place to stay out of the sun.

As I was putting up the pictures, I noticed a chip in another frame.  I don't believe this particular moulding is going to stand up to the rigor of outdoor shows.  I'm going to have to find something else.

Even with these two extra tasks, I was finished and ready by 9:00am.  The show opens at ten.  I should have brought a book.

Crowds were pretty thick all day, but sales were few.  A lot of that can, of course, be blamed on our State's economy at the moment, but the heat had a lot to do with it too, as attested to by the fact that even the $6 letters weren't selling.  But a lot of people were taking my new cards after having discussed a particular piece, so perhaps there will be residual sales later on.

My phone said that it was going to rain in the late afternoon, and when that failed to happen, I felt ripped off.  Rain at a show is seldom a good thing, but if it would have cooled things off, that would have been a blessing.  It did cloud up late in the evening just about closing time, but it had all moved east by the time I left.  There is a chance of storms overnight, so I took down all my pics and wrapped them in plastic.  I think that tomorrow, I'll completely rearrange things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment