Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Everything Is All Over The Place

    Once upon a time, I had a Chevy Astro.  It was the perfect vehicle for transporting my art show.  But life changes and mechanical problems made it necessary to get a different vehicle, and though the little sedan I drive now gets great mileage and has few problems, it isn't big enough for my show. 
    So, for the last several years I've been borrowing my Dad's old pickup truck for my show.  But my Dad has a lot of rental property, and the truck is always packed with the tools and things he uses to fix whatever maintenance issues come up at houses he owns.  So before each show, the truck needs to be unloaded, and after, reloaded.   The stuff that gets unloaded gets piled in the spot in the garage where he would normally be parking the truck, so until the truck is reloaded, it has to be left outside.
    Outside is where I left the truck when I returned it.  I told my Mom that I didn't have time to stay and help load, but that I'd be back the next day (today) after I got up.  When I got there this afternoon, I found Dad upstairs.  He told me that Mom had told him I'd be there, but he had told her that he really didn't want to load the truck today.  We went down to the garage, where he explained that there was too much stuff in the garage, and most of it didn't need to go back into the truck.  And it didn't help that his shed, which is actually a detached one-car garage, is also full.  We discussed storage options and strategies for tackling the project, but whatever he does, it's going to be a big job.
    My Dad and I have the same problem.  We have a place for everything, and everything is all over the place.  The only way to solve our problem is to drag everything out of our respective sheds, our respective garages, and my studio, sweep the floors, and put everything back in in a more organized manner, perhaps disposing of a few things along the way.  But this requires time, energy, and good weather.  Lately, all three of those things have been in short supply.  A little help wouldn't be a bad thing either, but the usual minions are busy as well.
    My next day off won't be till Sunday or Monday, and I've suggested to him that I might be able to help.  He's a little less patient, though, and even though he's a champion procrastinator, just having the truck sitting outside is going to bug him.  He'll probably have it done by Friday.  That'll leave me without an excuse for getting my own stuff done.  Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment