Monday, May 2, 2016

Edmond 2016, Day Three

    Well, I started out the day by spilling coffee on my shoes.  Is that a good omen?
    Another sunny but cool day, with a bit of wind.  Crowds were great.
    I put out some stuff that I hadn't had out the first two days, one of which was my tub of  names, a collection of letters from the Letters Project that I had matted into three, four, and five letter names.  The main reason I hadn't put the tub out before was because I wasn't sure where to display it.  I wound up just putting it on the ground next to the print file.  Turns out, that was perfectly adequate.  People didn't mind squatting down to thumb through it, and two people found the name they were looking for.  Over all, the letters made up almost 19% of my sales.
    It popped up in my Facebook newsfeed that I took the original photo for my new picture "Garden Party" five years ago Saturday.  By the end of the day, that was the only one of the new pictures that had sold.  Surprising, because everyone seemed to gravitate toward the pic of the First National Tower ("Skyline Signature.")
    The vet called in the middle of the day, and left a message saying that the schnauzer's x-rays showed that she had a partially slipped disk, and that if the medication and rest didn't fix the problem, she might need surgery.  Fortunately, the meds seem to be working just fine.  As long as we can keep her from re-injuring herself (she's like Bambi on the ice in our dining room) then she should be okay.
    It was a pretty good show this year.  Not spectacular, but I made enough money to cover my booth rent and pay for the time I was taking off from the job.  Plus, there will be residuals.  One person says she wants to order three of my Scrabble pics.  I talked to one fellow who says he might be interested in buying one of my big originals.  The conversation was not satisfying with him, though.  I feel like I failed to communicate effectively to him how to get ahold of me outside the shows.  Also, one of my regular collectors (yes, I have a few of those) plucked a print out of the bin and said, "Frame this for me."  I'll have that done for him in a few days.  And a couple for whom I had done a drawing of their house years ago wants me to do another one.  So, as you can see, the end of a show is not necessarily the end of the show. 
    Next up:  Kathy's Paseo on Memorial Day Weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment