Saturday, April 30, 2016

Edmond 2016, Day Two

    Day two started out rather cool.  I had forgotten to take home the sweater that I was wearing the day before, and I was tempted to put it on, but my pride kept telling me that I didn't want to be seen wearing the same top as yesterday, so I just endured until it warmed up just after noon.  Also I had forgotten to bring a hat, so my bald spot got sunburned.
    Before the show opened, I moved the two screens that were holding up the new pics from the north side to the west side to increase visibility for the southbound foot traffic.  As you can see from the photo below, that was a smart move.
 
    You can also see that the weather was beautiful, and so was the crowd.  Unfortunately, that didn't translate into a lot of sales.  People loved my work; they just didn't love it enough to take it home with them.
    Early in the day, I overheard a group of young men walking by talking about the prices one of the artists had on his work.  One of them said, "Wow, I am in the wrong profession."  My eyes rolled involuntarily.  Yes, an artist may have, say, $5000 on a painting, but if at the end of the show that painting hasn't sold, the artist has made zero dollars. 
    Still, the day was rather nice.  My parents came by at separate times bearing food.  It was nice to see an old college friend, Sandra, who came by about lunchtime.  I had a nice conversation about current architectural trends in downtown OKC with a couple of fellows who had asked about the subjects of some of my new pictures.  And Gary Lennon dropped by late in the afternoon with some enthusiastic reactions to the new stuff.
    The man-spouse never got to come to the show.  Our schnauzer sustained some sort of injury - we're not sure what - and had to go to the vet this afternoon.  That took a big chunk out of the bank account and orchid watering time.  But hopefully tomorrow will prove that I'm in the right profession, so the money won't be a problem.  Tomorrow's supposed to be beautiful, so it could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment