Monday, June 12, 2017

They're Trynta Wear Me Out

Working at the hotel, according to the calculator on my computer, only takes up about a third of my life, but somehow it seems to be the only thing I do lately.  When I take time off for shows, the following week has a six to nine day schedule.  After the Paseo show, I came back to eight days which coincided with our annual visit from a group of people who were here for the softball tournament.  These people move as a herd, bringing their 40+ cars (this year, the total number was 69) back from the venue about the time I'm arriving for my shift, and leaving again about the time I get off.  It's more fun than just doing the nightly paperwork, but eight days of that is exhausting.  And to make it more tiring, I was given a split weekend, so little or nothing is getting done at home.  This week, tonight (Sunday) is my only night off, because a few of the rest of our crew managed to escape for a few days, and I am needed to compensate for their absence.  Hopefully, next week will be back to normal.

The Paseo show (actually, Kathy's On The Paseo) was a very good show.  Good sales, no rain (or
monsoons, like two years ago.)  My Dad came to help set up, which was nice, and then he and Mom were there for teardown.  My Mom has never been there for either, so this was her first time seeing how it all packs up. Neither of them had ever been to the Paseo show.

I got some disappointing news from Tim, the fellow who prints my photos and cuts my frames.  His giclĂ©e machine had a clogged ink jet, which caused anything printed in blue to come out striped, which prevented him from printing my Tower Theatre pics.  Just before the show, his #1 assistant, Robin, informed me that he was going to have to get a whole new machine, and it could be months before he could afford it.  This also prevents him from printing the crayon pics, which I have orders for, and from resupplying those pics that sold at the Edmond and Paseo shows.  (Currently I am out of Skyline Signature (the First National Building.)  She said that there is someone else I can take them to, but they are more expensive.  I'm not going to be in desperate need till next year, but at least that gives me a back-up plan.

The plan, right now, is that I will be doing the Pride show on June 24th and 25th.  I sent in my entry a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard back, so I don't know what's going on.  They're not a particularly organized show.  They refer to it as an art show, but when I was there two years ago, I was the only artist in a sea of venders.  My neighbors were selling windows, legal services, veterinary services, and dietary supplements.  It put me in a unique position.  But this year, they dropped the price of the entry back down to normal levels, so I thought I'd give them a try again.  Teardown is rushed because of the parade, so I don't think I'll be taking my whole show.  Maybe just four screens with small pictures.

Today's plan is to get my laundry done, take some photos for a commission, do my bookkeeping, mow the lawn, and hopefully get in a four hour nap before I go back to work tonight.  Which would require getting off the computer.  So... type at y'all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment